Friends of Richfield Heritage Preserve
  • Home
  • What's Here
    • Directions
    • The Property >
      • Google Map
      • Video
    • History
    • Maps
    • Nature Sightings
    • Memorials
  • About Us
    • What is a Friends'Group?
    • Reports to the Community
    • MillWrite News
    • Board of Directors
    • Bylaws
    • Board Portal
    • FoCH History
    • Partnership with RJRD
    • Incorporation
  • Get Involved
    • Contact
    • Our Supporters 2025
    • Our Supporters - 2026
    • Kirby's Mill Restoration
    • Education and Outreach
    • Volunteer
    • Donate
  • Events / Hikes
."Resolution 06-2024: A Resolution Authorizing Friends of Richfield Heritage Preserve to begin stabilization and restoration of Garfield Hall consistent with the scope of work identified as Phase 1 of the Champion Application submitted on May 20th, 2024 under the direction of the Park Director for 90 days with updates at subsequent regular board meetings as to the plan for stabilization and restoration of the structure."  - - Richfield Joint Recreation District Board                                                                                                                                        text of the stabilization/restoration proposal has been moved to the "Partnership with RJRD" page

​Garfield Hall 
Restoration in progress! 

Picture
View from the shore in 1938. Garfield Hall is on the left, the original boat house on the right. The blocks of the terrace overlooking the lake are just barely visible below the flagpole at the front of the hall. Photo courtesy of Judy Heiser Heit, granddaughter of the CJC's first camp manager
      Garfield Hall is the famous dance hall / "recreation lodge" that Kirby built on industrial strength springs. It was built in 1923 at the head of Lake Jinelle from timber milled on site.  Situated deep within their estate, the Kirbys used the hall to host family gatherings.  It became the dining hall for Camp Julia Crowell in 1937.  The kitchen was expanded, the porch was extended and screened in, and the rooms on the second floor were removed. It was named for Eleanor Garfield, second commissioner of the Cleveland Girl Scout Council.  It continued to be used for dining and dancing during summer camp, even after Gund Hall was built on "the Hilaka side" in 1967.  Regular usage ceased on 2009 as the property was prepared for sale.  
Picture
Inside Garfield Hall -2009 photo: Ann Marie Niziolek

Restoration

Sometime around 2018 it became apparent that the floor on the east side of the hall was sagging.  Investigation showed that long exposure to water had weakened the wood.    
Picture
The sad first look after the east front floor was removed.
Picture
The good news was that the legends were true! IN spite of some skeptical claims to the contrary, there were actual, industrial-sized springs under the floor. Twelve of them, under the central floor beam. Clive Fetzer is pictured holding the first one to be removed.
The restoration story to be continued....

History

Picture
handwritten caption on back of photo: "Vernon Scobie working on stack at Kirby's dance hall" . Courtesy of Richfield Historical Society
The first major event hosted there was the Vacuette Company’s third annual picnic, held soon after construction was complete. A procession of cars and buses brought everyone from the company’s Cleveland headquarters for a day at the Kirby farm. From the souvenir brochure: “On high ground at the head of the lake was built a spacious bungalow, put up especially for the convention, with its deep open fireplace, and polished hardwood floor, where dancing was so easy, to the excellent music of one of Cleveland’s best dance orchestras. Adjacent to the bungalow, the big top tent was set and there at one o’clock, luncheon was served hot from the outdoor stoves in charge of an excellent caterer from Cleveland…….So full of interesting events was this first day of the Convention, spent at Kirby’s that to outline even briefly the most interesting features would be to devote too much space in this already over-sized edition of the Broadcaster…”

The Alpha Motion Picture Company of Cleveland was on hand to capture the festivities on film. The film was developed and processed overnight, and the resulting movie shown at the formal company dinner at the Cleveland Yacht Club the next evening. While YouTube videos are commonplace today, in 1923 on overnight film was unheard of. A technological marvel.

In 1926, the annual Bigelow family reunion was held at the lodge. Jim’s mother, Sylvia Bigelow, served as hostess. “There were seventy present. After dinner pictures were taken, woods and lake explored. We were called together for the usual business meeting with the usual results. Music furnished by Etta, Bernice, and Nellie. Expenses: Ice cream $9.00, paper plates 0.9, napkins 0.25, coffee 1.25, sugar 0.23, help $3.00”

Picture
Souvenir program from the third annual Vacuette convention – held at the Kirby farm.
The couple pictured at the door of The Bungalow (lower left) are probably Mrs. & Mr. Kirby.

IN 1940, when Kirby wrote a letter to the Cleveland Council which included the history and construction details of his former estate, he simply called it “the cabin” and “the lodge”. He noted that it cost $4,900 to build and that the siding was mostly chestnut. He did not mention the bouncy floor at all.
Picture
Photo: Cleveland Press archives, Cleveland State University Special Collections Library

From the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper, August 10, 1937:

Mrs. Rudolph Garfield, chairman of the camp committee for the last six years, was honored last night when the Central Activity Building of Camp Julia Crowell was dedicated and named “Garfield Lodge”.  Special guests at the dedication service were members of the camp construction committee who planned the layout and development of the new campsite, and included Morris A. Black, chairman; AE Fisher; AC Schicker; Gilbert Osterland; Harold L. Madison; Henry Friede; Mr. & Mrs. Alexander Robinson; Mrs. Garfield

From 1937 until Gund Hall was built thirty years later, Garfield Hall was the dining hall for resident camp. The bell outside called campers in to supper. The Girl Scouts added the screened porch and the back storage portion.



Picture
Photo: Ann Marie Niziolek, 2008
Picture
Garfield Hall is seen in the background during the camp dedication ceremony in 1937. Spectators watched from a loft which was later removed.
Picture
Singing in front of the fireplace in Garfield Hall, 1937. Source: Cleveland Press Archives
Picture
Back of Garfield Hall, 1937, prior to addition of kitchen and storage area. Source: Cleveland Press Archives
Picture
Picture
The bouncing floor
In the 2010 survey of camp properties sponsored by Girl Scouts of North East Ohio,  the "house with the bouncy floor"  was mentioned more than any other feature of any of the seven camps.  When they closed Crowell Hilaka, the council considered disassembling Garfield Hall and re-assembling it at Ledgewood, one of the surviving camps.  ( see Phase 1, step "B" on the chart below "relocated Hialaca (sic) dance barn" )
Picture
A drawing of Camp Ledgewood improvements in 2012 featuring "Re-located Hilaka Dance Barn"; Letter B in "Phase 1".
Picture
Picture
The rafters during construction. 2024
Picture
detail of interior - 2009
Picture
This painting of the secret waterfall hung above the mantel of Garfield Hall for many years. Artist: David Thomas, camp assistant.

Projects

Kirby's Mill Restoration
Historic Home Stabilization
Native Species Restoration
​Perimeter Fence Menders


Contact Us

Friends of Richfield Heritage Preserve
P.O. Box 194 
Richfield, OH 44286-0194
​(Our address change took place in October 2023.  Our former address is the home of our founder who is still very involved in Friends.  He will make sure that any mail sent to the old address will get to the right place!)  
​

[email protected]

​© COPYRIGHT 2020. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
  • Home
  • What's Here
    • Directions
    • The Property >
      • Google Map
      • Video
    • History
    • Maps
    • Nature Sightings
    • Memorials
  • About Us
    • What is a Friends'Group?
    • Reports to the Community
    • MillWrite News
    • Board of Directors
    • Bylaws
    • Board Portal
    • FoCH History
    • Partnership with RJRD
    • Incorporation
  • Get Involved
    • Contact
    • Our Supporters 2025
    • Our Supporters - 2026
    • Kirby's Mill Restoration
    • Education and Outreach
    • Volunteer
    • Donate
  • Events / Hikes