The Richfield Heritage Preserve is 336 acres of winding streams, lakes, and forests that had been closed off from the public for over 75 years. It had been farmed by the pioneer Oviatt family and then became the estate of inventor Jim Kirby. During the 1920s Kirby constructed a patented lake, a mill to generate electric power, a house air-conditioned with spring water, and a dance hall built on springs. Upstream, the Neal family built their fairy tale houses and operated a thriving fruit farm. The land was purchased by the Cleveland Girl Scouts in 1937 and enclosed with a fence for the protection of the girls. In 2015, the property was purchased by the citizens of Richfield. It has been transformed into a park for public enjoyment. In 2020, the property was added to the National Register of Historic Places as the "Camp Crowell Hilaka Historic District".
The History Hike is free, but registration is appreciated so we know how many people to plan for.
Click HERE to sign up.
The Architecture Hike is free, but registration is appreciated so we know how many people to plan for.
Click HERERHPArchitectureHike2023.eventbrite.com to sign up
Original content on the Friends website is the property of Friends of Richfield Heritage Preserve. It cannot be used without permission. Permission can usually be obtained by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org and agreeing to attribute www.friendsofrhp.org as the source.
*Current Year - Members and Volunteer Hours